Friday, January 30, 2015

First Fight Friday: Fate's Haven by Daniel Dennis


Goats solve their differences head-on. They don’t give the silent treatment or yell, they butt heads, and then it’s over.

Cowboy Marvin has learned humans resolve issues differently especially those romantically involved. His curiosity sparked, he has invited authors to stop by on Fridays and share the first fight from one of their books.






Author  

Daniel Dennis


     is here for ...




First Fight Friday 



with a scene from


Fate's Haven

During The Great War, Haven was built to save mankind from destruction. Now, Gabriel sees it as a crypt, a derelict vessel floating through space. He believes the Captain and his lies. 


Everything changes when Gabriel stumbles upon Haven's darkest secret. 

firstfightfridayfirstfightfridayfirstfightfridayfirstfightfridayfirstfightfridayfirstfightfridayfirstfightfridayfirstfightfridayfirstfightfridayfirstfigh

“First one I’ll let slide, boy,” Dax says. I don’t see him yet. Why? He is tall enough I should be able to see him. “Do something like that again and you’re gonna be in a world of hurt,”

“Oh shut up! I’m not afraid of you!” another voice shouts. “That girl is the closest thing I have to a sister. You think you’re tough, hitting women? Let’s see how tough you are now! Come on!” 

I keep shoving my way through. The voice is unmistakable. It belongs to Aren, my brother.

“I’m gonna enjoy this,” Dax says. 

They’re just feet from me. I push through a few more people and those in front of them have figured out it’s best to move out of my way. The rest of them part and I walk up from behind Aren. Dax is on the floor bleeding from his nose.

“Not as much as I will,” I say, stopping Aren’s assault by grabbing Dax by the collar of his shirt. Aren seems startled, maybe a bit unnerved. He backs away.

Dax hits me in the chest. A dark rage devours my soul as I grab his arm and force him to his feet and against the wall. I feel a heavy pain in my side where Dax has driven his knee into me. I bring my own knee into the side of his leg, forcing it to give out from under him. He topples to the ground again. Holding him down by his neck, I throw my left knee into his ribs, and begin punching his face with my free hand as many times as I can, as hard as I can.

My knuckles have gone numb with pain and they’re covered by a thin sheet of blood. Dax is still swinging. His fists connect a couple of times but my rage is too much for him. He goes limp. I feel hands wrap around my arms. I’m being pulled back. Ray and Gil are trying to restrain me. Someone I don’t recognize, an older man, is kneeling by Dax. Ray’s grip slips just enough and I force my arm free, lunging toward Dax. I manage to get one last blow in as he tries to get to his feet. Ray tightens his hold and Gil does a better job at restraining me this time. They pull me into an elevator and slap the button for seven. The doors close and I see Dax lying on the floor, his face covered in blood.

Copyright © Daniel Dennis
firstfightfridayfirstfightfridayfirstfightfridayfirstfightfridayfirstfightfridayfirstfightfridayfirstfightfridayfirstfightfridayfirstfightfridayfirstfigh

Fate's Haven by Daniel Dennis



Hundreds of people are living in an underground fallout shelter. But they don't know it. 


During The Great War, Haven was built to save mankind from destruction. But now, Gabriel sees Haven as a crypt. He believes Haven is a derelict vessel floating through space. He believes the Captain and his lies. 


But everything changes when Gabriel stumbles upon Haven's darkest secret. Is the illusion of safety worth sacrificing a chance of reaching Earth's surface? Or is it more important to risk 
his life on the faint hope of freedom?
"The story took a while to develop. The deeper I got into the story, however, the more I liked it. The quote "Freedom is the cause of mankind" is noteworthy. 
Perhaps, for me, it invoked thoughts of Memorial Day this weekend. 
Highly recommended..." Reader Review


Fate's Haven
is available on 
Amazon ~ iBooks Kobo ~ Nook Google Play ~ Smashwords



Daniel's Bio:

Daniel was born and raised in Tulsa, Oklahoma. He graduated from Oklahoma State University with a degree in Management Information Systems and Information Security. He currently works in Oklahoma City as an IT security professional. In his spare time, he enjoys spending time with his wife and kids.




Follow Daniel Dennis online
Thanks for sharing Daniel!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...