Friday, May 30, 2014

First Fight Friday: The Waiting Game by Eve Devon


Goats solve their differences head-on. They don’t give the silent treatment or yell, they butt heads, and then it’s over.

Cowboy Marvin has learned humans resolve issues differently especially those romantically involved. His curiosity sparked, he has invited authors to stop by on Fridays and share a first fight from one of their books.




  Eve Devon      




    is here for ...



First Fight Friday 

with a scene from 


  The Waiting Game
     I’m thrilled to share a ‘First Fight Friday Scene’ with you all…and have chosen the first fight from my debut book,  
which has just turned one!

With her stalker Andre Spinks released from prison, ex-songstress turned recluse Brooke Bennet knows her life is back to balancing on a knife-edge. But that doesn’t mean letting former protector, sexy security consultant Cam Dexter, call all the shots.

firstfightfridayfirstfightfridayfirstfightfridayfirstfightfridayfirstfightfridayfirstfightfridayfirstfightfridayfirstfightfridayfirstfightfri
“Since the trial, I’ve lived in a safe manner. Trying to breathe life into my existence in a way that wouldn’t worry anyone. And okay, so my body might go into hyper-drive whenever I feel threatened. So I may never be able to get a full night’s sleep or ever fully relax. But to suggest I can’t be trusted to help keep myself safe?”

She stopped in front of him, her breath coming in choppy bursts. “I’ve done all of that, lived like that, and isn’t it ironic—”

“It’s not ironic. It’s sad,” he cut in, putting the truth right in front of her.

“What?” Her question came out tortured and hit him hard.

“You want to stand here in front of me and argue that the timid existence you’ve carved out for yourself is living? You haven’t been living. You’ve barely been going through the motions.”

Seconds passed. Then her shoulders slumped, and it seemed as if her spirit had folded in on itself.

Damn. He was scum.

That sense of self-loathing was marginally alleviated when a light finally re-entered her eyes, and she recovered enough to draw air into her lungs. He didn’t know whether to feel proud of her or wary. He focused on her as she licked her lips and squared her frame.

“Spinks is waiting on purpose, you know,” she said dully. “Tiny actions that amount to nothing—that’s what he’ll use to pull us in and keep us on edge. He’ll string it out forever if he wants to. That’s how he works. And what will we do, Cameron? Will we wait forever, too?”

He let her march away from him, across the gleaming polished wood of the yurt’s raised floor. Let her spend a couple of minutes gathering a towel and fresh clothes from her bag. But when she made to brush past him, he blocked her path.

“I need you to use your head,” he said. “You have to know there’s no way I’m letting this end in a bloodbath. This ends with Spinks back where he belongs. In prison. And you getting to go back to your life.”

He stared down at the top of her head and waited. And while he waited, he held his breath. Finally, he felt the give in her stance. He exhaled.

She gave a short, tight nod of her head and said softly, “I’m going for a shower. That is, if I can be trusted?”

Copyright © Eve Devon


firstfightfridayfirstfightfridayfirstfightfridayfirstfightfridayfirstfightfridayfirstfightfridayfirstfightfridayfirstfightfridayfirstfightfri

The Waiting Game by Eve Devon 

Five years ago a madman stalked her. Kidnapped her. Tattooed her.

When security expert Cameron Dexter—the man Brooke Bennett once loved—appears unexpectedly at her door with terrifying news, the former musician discovers she can no longer hide from her past. After five years, her vicious kidnapper is out of prison and on the hunt—for Brooke.

Now he’s returned to complete his art.

Cam failed to protect Brooke once before. Now he’d rather die than let her be captured. With her life at stake, Cam vows to keep her hidden and safe. Brooke, however, is done with running. Unlike Cam, she wants to stand and fight. Emotions both old and new roil between them, but addressing their heated past must wait. Together they set a trap in London to catch a killer. But they soon discover the enemy wears many faces...

And waiting is no longer an option.



The Waiting Game 
is available on 

Amazon      Barnes & Noble     iTunes     Kobo


About Eve:

Growing up in locations like Botswana and Venezuela gave me quite the taste for adventure and my love for romances began when my mother shoved one into my hands in a desperate attempt to keep me quiet during TV coverage of the Wimbledon tennis finals! When I wasn’t consuming books by the bucketload, I could be found pretending to be a damsel in distress or running around solving mysteries and writing down my adventures. As a teenager, I wrote countless episodes of TV detective dramas so the hero and heroine would end up together every week. As an adult, I worked in a library to conveniently continue consuming books by the bucketload, until realising I was destined to write contemporary romance and romantic suspense myself. I live in leafy Surrey in the UK, a book-devouring, slightly melodramatic, romance-writing sassy heroine with my very own sexy hero husband!


Follow Eve Devon online
WEBSITE ~ FACEBOOK ~ TWITTER  

             
Thanks for sharing Eve!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...